Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Second opinion] I have a 37 year old son who is squatting in

Customer Question
my rent house. He's been...
Second opinion] I have a 37 year old son who is squatting in my rent house. He's been there three and a half years and paid rent only a few months of that time. He is doing this through extortion and intimidation of my wife. She has given him about $1 million (all of our savings and retirement plus all of her inheritance) plus she works part time and gives him all of her pay as well. She does everything he demands and is totally brain washed by him. My son intimidates both of us and threatens us by death threats, physical and verbal violence, destruction of our property, filing illegitimate liens and much more. We have let this go all this time due to fear of losing our 5 year old granddaughter over it. My son is dangerous, evil, and slightly mentally incompetent. He has been divorced three times and has never had a "real" job. He drinks heavily and keeps such a bad house as to make it undesirable to even enter, let alone place a five year old in. His ex-wife is on drugs, lives with an unemployed man who keeps wild animals in the house. She has been fired from two jobs in the last six months due to drug use or sale. Our fear is that if we take any type of action, CPS will remove our granddaughter and place her in foster care. I am getting ready to file an eviction and may need a protective order as well. What do you suggest?JA: Was the property purchased during the marriage? Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?Customer: No. I own the house, not my son. It was purchased in 1982. They married about 2010 or so.JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?Customer: TXJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: I have much more detail but she does not have time for it. I have talked to one atty. and one police officer. Both say to not let the situation continue. Oh yes, my wife has filed for declaring me mentally incompetent. There is not a shred of evidence to that and I have three doctors who have given statements to the contrary. My son is demanding this to get total control over our affairs and finances. He really should be in jail. Our concern is for the granddaughter.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/27/2017
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 3 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Thanks for asking for me.

I concur with the opinion of the first expert who responded to your same question. And, I would suggest that you try to get an order of protection before you file eviction proceedings as you seem to be fearful for your safety.

I wish you the best in your future.

Doug

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law