Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What if one cannot afford the expensive trips necessary for

Customer Question

what if one cannot afford the long expensive trips necessary for court ordered visitations?
JA: Is this a criminal or civil case?
Customer: both actually, a divorce that is happening as a result of violent attack that has a rape charge involved
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: it happened in South Dakota - we (my daughter and her kids fled here to Montana, where we, her parents are
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

1) The visiting parent is under no mandate to exercise their visitation. Meaning, they can skip it, or, they and the other parent can informally agree to meet in the middle, or whatever else works; or

2) The visiting parent can file for a modification, asking the Judge to modify the decree for visitation because the long trip is simply not practical/affordable under the present circumstances.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. It does not cost anything extra to rate. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!