How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has filed for divorce in Florida. Her husband

Customer Question

My daughter has filed for divorce in Florida. Her husband has already been served the papers, but has not responded in the time required. My wife and I want to help her, but do not know what to expect for the fees. Ther are two children involved.
JA: Are there any minor children from the relationship? What is the custody situation?
Customer: There are two minor children. They have had discussions about custody, but we are afraid that she may agree to something that would be a mistake.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Please stand by as I work on your answer!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

It's so nice that your daughter has supportive parents that want to help her.

The best way you can help her is to help her find an attorney who is very familiar with divorce and custody. Lawyer's fees will vary. Some charge by the hour and some do flat fee billing. A resource like can help you be familiar with attorneys and how much they charge. The most important thing is that she has an attorney that she is comfortable with, who specializes in family law in her area.

Other than that, you can encourage her to educate herself on custody laws. Most counties have a law library or she can use a resource like to become aware of what's standard for custody, etc.

Most importantly, she will need emotional support and the encouragement to make choices that are best for her children.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was hoping you could give me an idea on what the fees could be. An educated guess would be fine.
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, that's pretty hard to do, because lawyers aren't supposed to talk about fees publicly. The American Bar Association doesn't want there to be "price fixing." She could be looking at anywhere from $1500 to over $10,000. It completely depends on the attorney she chooses and how complicated her case is/how long it goes on.

A retainer of $5000 or more paid up front isn't uncommon. $150/hour is on the low end for an reputable attorney's hourly rate. Cases can take 6 months to a year, or longer depending on complications that arise. A middle range attorney with more than five years of experience is probably going to be in the $200-300 range, but it's really impossible to say, since lawyers are free to set their own fees. Some will charge for every email/phone call and bill in 10 minute increments. Some may do 6 minute increments. And then there are a few attorneys who will say, "I'll do your whole case for $5000 flat."

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome!