How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend has exclusive rights to designate the primary

Customer Question

Hi, my girlfriend has exclusive rights to designate the primary residence of her son has had so for years since 2009, now that her ex knows that we are to get married he put in an order in suit to modify parent-child relationship. What are my girlfriend's options in order to not have her ex dictate for this change?
JA: Who has legal custody? Is there a child custody order in place?
Customer: They have joint custod.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Texas, Harris county to be exact
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so, not sure what else may be needed?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Please stand by as I work on your answer!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

What does her ex want to change about the custody order?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She wants to keep her original status to designate where her and her son reside.
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

The Judge will determine what is best for the child. If nothing is changing other than the two of you getting married, I do not see a Judge changing the status quo of the order. Of course, ultimately, it will be the Judge's decision, so predicting an outcome is impossible. She should hire an attorney and take this seriously and attend any court hearings that are scheduled. At hearing, she should be prepared to explain why it's still in the child's best interest to live with her and that she be able to continue to designate where the child lives.