Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in all aspects related to family law matters.
23431962

My ex is threatening me with legal action to get more

Customer Question

Hello. My ex is threatening me with legal action to get more "child" support for my18-year-old who graduated high school this past June; she says the extra "support" is needed to help my son with expenses while he goes to college full time. My son is not disabled. Question: Can I be forced to pay my adult son money as a form of support although I've already met all child support monetary obligations dictated in my separation agreement?
JA: Were the police contacted? Is there an active case or investigation?
Customer: No
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Longhorn Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you may receive an automatic phone call offer. I do not send that offer, the system does. Feel free to accept it if you would like to talk on the phone. Otherwise, we can continue here.

Also, if you are waiting for a while for my response, it is because we are very busy or I am preparing a response to your question. I promise that I will be here to help you. So please do not click Opt Out and do not close the question. This will only result in further delays while you wait for another Expert. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Please give me some time to consider your question.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: According to Virginia Code § 20-60.3, [Child] support will continue to be paid for any child over the age of 18 who is (i) a full-time high school student, (ii) not self-supporting, and (iii) living in the home of the party seeking or receiving child support until such child reaches the age of 19 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs first, and that the court may also order that support be paid or continue to be paid for any child over the age of 18 who is (a) severely and permanently mentally or physically disabled, and such disability existed prior to the child reaching the age of 18 or the age of 19 if the child met the requirements of clauses (i), (ii), and (iii); (b) unable to live independently and support himself; and (c) residing in the home of the parent seeking or receiving child support."

So since he has graduated high school and he is 18 years of age, it would seem that per the statute, your obligations have ended already and you would not be obligated to do that.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still open and no credit has been given. Do you require additional assistance? Please let me know. Thank you!