Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My fiancé is in federal custody. I am out on bond. We were

Customer Question
My fiancé is in federal...
My fiancé is in federal custody. I am out on bond. We were supposed to be married on the 28th of this month but he was not able to bond out. We are co-defendants. Is there any law stopping us from getting married as planned? 7 co defendants, 4 I don't even know.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not about the marriage
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/25/2017
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

Hello! Please stand by as I work on your answer!

In order to be married in California, you would both need to be able to attend the wedding. So no marriage would be able to take place while he was in custody unless they allowed you and the officiant to go to where he is.

California does not allow marriage by proxy, so you, your intended and the officiant would all need to be in the same place. If you and an officiant cannot go where he is currently being held, then the marriage would not be able to take place until all three of you can be in the same room.

originallawyer
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney