WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years experience, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT LAWYER FOR FAMILY, IMMIGRATION AND CRIMINAL LAW
16356563

My husband and I are separated (not legally) he just went to

Customer Question

My husband and I are separated (not legally) he just went to my bank and made a deposit to my checking. They gave him a receipt that has my total balance on it. What are my privacy rights and can I sue the bank
JA: Was any of the money acquired before the marriage? Or given through an inheritance?
Customer: not sure what that means other than he deposits money into my account for groceries, bills etc. Not an inheritance.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I called the branch where he deposited the money into my account and spoke to the manager and he admitted they were wrong and that he would speak to his staff, and that they would red flag that bank and any other bank in my area so it will not happen again.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that I am very upset about this and my husband thinks I'm lying and hiding money from him, he can't see all the bills I just paid with the money
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: indiana
Category: Family Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 2 months ago.

hello

this is an unfortunate situation, the bank was wrong, and if he was not on your account, the bank has violated your privacy rights, and you should advise the bank you will consider legal action, such as filing a complaint with the state attorney generals office,

An inheritance is not marital property and your spouse has no claim to it, in fact, what you may want to do is open a new account in a different bank so he has no access or information on your accounts.

You can also take any money he deposited into your account as well, since it was placed in your account by him

Good luck, and if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you