Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I would like to ask about if i consider to get divorce, what

Customer Question
Hi,My name is ***** *****...
Hi,My name is ***** ***** would like to ask about if i consider to get divorce, what is my right? I live in San Francisco, i have been married about 7 years. Both of us are US citizens. My husband got two houses in bay area before we married. I want to know if i file divorce paper, do i entitled get his half or portion property from him. Last year, he changed the mortgage company because they can provided a good interest rate, however, my husband is retiree, he has to ask me to on the house in order to qualify. I am not sure it means i am on title of the house, but he told me i have no right to sell the house.He has a son and two grand kids, is he possible to transfer all properties to them avoid give anything to me?
Please let me know what right i have and i want to know how long gonna take if i file divorce. I want to know all procedure before i move out.Please email me back at***@******.***.Thank you.Siu Spiewak
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/24/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

You would only be entitled to assets that were acquired during the marriage. So the houses he owned before you got married would be his separate property and wouldn't be divided in the divorce. Only if he added you to the deed would you be an owner.

.

But if you just had to sign the mortgage when he refinanced, that wouldn't have put you on the deed. It would just mean that you agree to let his house be used as collateral for the loan.

.

So if you bought a car while married, it it half yours. If you bought a house while married, it is half yours. And so on.

.

But if he owned everything before you got married, then those are still his assets and you wouldn't get half of them just because you got married. When a couple divorces, they keep what they brought into the marriage and only divide up whatever they got during the marriage.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer