Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Trying to find out if spouse has remarried after separation.

Customer Question
Hi, trying to find out...
Hi, trying to find out if spouse has remarried after separation
JA: Are there any minor children from the relationship? What is the custody situation?
Customer: No
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Kentucky
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am in Nevada and have been separated for 20 years
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
are we still considered to be married if he is in Ky and I moved to Vegas after seperation
7/24/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A marriage can only be terminated by death or divorce. There is no amount of time that a marriage will end simply because the spouses are living apart or in different states. If you have reason to believe your wife married someone else, that's bigamy. You could contact the local police in her area and ask them to investigate.

Another option is to hire a private investigator. Or if you'd like to file for divorce now, a local attorney could help you subpeona information about her current living situation and marital status.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer