Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son ******, 40 years old. Is in jail and coffee County

Customer Question
Hi, my name is Judy...

Hi, my name is Judy ******. My son Richard ******, 40 years old. Is in jail and coffee County the city of Douglas Georgia. He has been there 31 days for contempt of court for child support. I am not taking up for him he needs to do right by his children. It's complicated but he divorced his wife while she was in prison for drug charges. Hey son temporary custody over to his in-laws Until he could get his feet on the ground and make a home for them. I never saw any papers that ordered him to pay child support or anything else. But he helped. He could which was not enough. If it was up to me and you would have had them all along they are my grandchildren. They seem to keep coming up with legal papers we never saw before and I'm not crazy really. What should we do he can't get any answers if he can go before the judge? I have to talk to the clerk of court in that county cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone. Concerned mom, thank you
JA: Who currently has legal custody? Is there a custody agreement or order?
Customer: Yes what I was told and what I saw was temporary custody agreement for the maternal grandparents. Their grandpa Is there step gran, it's always a fight between those grandparents about who should be giving them money. They have lots of money they just like to argue about who's getting a lot and who's not doing lot. The grandmother that has them is my son's ex-wife. She wants this straight over there 85 pounds soaking wet and hooked on math. Her husband is in jail with my son it's crazy
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What can he do, what can we do, I love my son and my grandchildren and I truly think he's trying to do the right thing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
I probably did not make a whole a lot of sense in my text/typing. I don't know if I phone call would be more productive
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/24/2017
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

If you or he can view the court file, there should be some documents in there that show how he was (or allegedly was) served. It will say on what day and what time, and at what location, the documents were provided to him that gave him a chance to participate in these proceedings that resulted in the current orders. If he sees those documents and determines that the information about service is inaccurate, and he was not actually served on those dates at those locations, he can ask to vacate the orders against him because they would be void. Orders are not allowed to be entered without giving notice to all the parties in the case. It may be that he was served and did not realize he had to do something. But the first step was to find out what they claim about service, and then find out from him if it's true. If it is true, your son will probably have to find a way to work with the child support order (although modification might be possible based on the facts of the case). If it is not true, your son might be able to undo the child support order.

If he wishes to modify, he has to get a copy of the documents that were used to calculate child support, and see if the information they used is accurate and current. If the circumstances have changed substantially since that calculation was made, that can be a basis to modify the order and (hopefully) decrease the amount he has to pay. Are there any other questions for now? Do you still wish to speak on the phone?

Sorry I do want answers but I was told to put five dollars in it first free trial and then $47 a month they have already pulled out of my account the five dollars plus the $47. I am disabled did not have this money today. What should I do sorry for any misunderstanding
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney