Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am being being sued for child support in TX. I am not sure

Customer Question

I am being being sued for child support in TX. I am not sure the baby is mine. Will the court do a paternity test before the court proceedings? I am working and cannot afford to go to TX. Please let me know what I can do.
JA: Has a court order been sought regarding a paternity test?
Customer: No. they have asked for my taxes and pay stubs. I went on line to see what my status was and they said child support was trying to be established. No paternity test results were available
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do I have to go to the hearing? I can't afford to miss work or go to Tx. I have had bad experiences in TX and would prefer never to return there.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. No, the court will not just do a paternity test before the court proceedings. However, you do have a legal right to challenge and contest paternity and would need to do so or else support will be ordered. If you fail to appear and/or respond, the case will go forward and the mother will obtain an order for what she seeks. I fully understand you do not need to return but you 1) need to appear and 2) contest this if you do not think the child is yours. If you do not contest it and/or fail to appear, support will be ordered, I am sorry to say.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!