Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live in Ga and allowed my daughter who is now 17 stay with

Customer Question

I live in Ga and allowed my daughter who is now 17 stay with her boyfriend and his family. They spend time at my house then eventually spent all their time at his. She is unwilling to come home and no longer with boyfriend. Still staying it's them and now says she's going to stay with friends. I am concerned about my legal liability!
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have an appointment with our family therapist today!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I be charged with abandonment? She left our home. I have a home food clothing and transportation. I chose to stay with my boyfriend instead of being home alone. I still own my home and have a place for us to live.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Longhorn Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

I'm a little confused. Your daughter voluntarily left the home and you are concerned about being found guilty of child abandonment?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been trying to get her to come home. I allowed her to stay with her boyfriend and his family. It started as a couple of days and then became a full time situation. She has been threatening me that if anyone got in trouble it would me for abandonment because I let her stay with another family.

Have you considered filing for emancipation?