P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

Can my girlfriend change her last name to match mine without

Customer Question

can my girlfriend change her last name to match mine without a marriage certificate?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

She can. That is, there is no law that would prevent her from changing her last name to match yours. Frankly speaking, who she is dating is not part of the application process for name change. So the fact that she wants to change her last name to be the same as yours is not relevant to the court's decision.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.