Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Not sure I am in the right category. My mother and father…

Hi, Not sure I am in...
Not sure I am in the right category. My mother and father (now deceased) have lived with us for 30 years in an in-law apartment we built for their use at the time. They never owned their own home. Now my mom in her nineties may need 24-hour care very soon. I understand all her funds which are not much go to the nursing home. My question is: I have a joint savings account with her. Is that money considered all hers, half mine or other? Who makes that determination?
Thank you
7/24/2017
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Usually, if both of you are on the account, then either of you has access to all of the funds as joint owners. So she can use all of it, you can use all of it, or you both can share it. The only way to know for sure is to contact the bank to determine if the account is a traditional joint banking account.

If the account says JTWROS, that means Joint Tenancy with Right of Survivorship. That usually means that the persons who are a party to it agree that if one of you dies, the other gets it all.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer