Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I go after ex husband for back child support arrears. He…

Customer Question
Hello, can I go...

Hello, can I go after ex husband for back child support arrears. He owes 6000.00. Right now order is in NC, but will be moved to VA. NC says he has to pay only 10.00 month extra....what does the state of VA do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has a court order been entered regarding any unpaid child support? When was the last payment made?

He pays ever month (garnish from paycheck), he was behind, they put in jail, so they garnished the full amount plus the 10.00 in back support

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also, would like to sue for sole, legal custody no visitation....husband wants to sue for legal custody (just in case something happens to me) and if something happens to me an my husband, daughter (21) wants to sue for legal custody. Son is 11 and has autism.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/24/2017
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Yes. You can file a motion for the back support. The court will consider and likely find him in contempt and issue a judgment in your favor.

You should have a timeline of events, calculation of what is owing to help make the court's job easier.

If you use a lawyer, court may award legal fees too.

Kindly let me know if that is clear.

I have a letter from NC CAR showing he owes 6000.
Sorry CSE

Perfect

Attach that letter to the motion.

Oh ok. Thank you. ***** can take more than 10.00 a month?
Good luck.
Kindly rate me five stars.