Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 17 years experience
19958803

If you adopted someone 16 years ago and they have now

Customer Question

If you adopted someone 16 years ago and they have now decided they do not want any contact with any in my family or her grandmother, Is there a way to make that per se null and void.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She just made a decision about three years to block any contact from us.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Is there a way to make that per se null and void.

.

No, there is no way to "un adopt" someone. Once they are adopted, they are adopted for life.

.

However, the person who adopted the other can have their will or estate plan specifically exclude that person from inheriting from their estate, which has the practical effect of disinheriting them from the family if all contact has been cut off.

.

But if the adopting party doesn't have a will or trust in place and passes, then the adopted person would stand to inherit from their estate along with any blood relatives.

.

.

thanks