Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was married to my husband for 13 years... he had a pension

Customer Question
through a 17 year employment...
I was married to my husband for 13 years... he had a pension through a 17 year employment with a university. I do not. It was not in our divorce agreement for me to have half the pension... we had another agreement for my son'ts college tuition (paid into an account by age 18), that my ex hasn't followed through on I'm wondering if the best way to protect the money for myself and son would be a QDRO
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Just not how sure how complex it will be to get it done since it wasn't in our original divorce agreement. Do I need the court order before I approach the plan administrator?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not at this time. Our divorce has been final since May 2011
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have been amicable, but this obviously won't thrill him so just wanted to get some info before I approach him about it
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/24/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The plan administrator cannot divide the account or provide you with any information on it without a court order. QDRO is the name of the document you'll give to them, but first, you'll need the judge to rule that you have a right to this money. Typically, only the child support or alimony portion of a divorce decree can be reopened after the fact. It's more complicated to reopen the property settlement. If the pension isn't mentioned at all in the decree, you can claim it was a forgotten asset and use that to ask the judge to enter a new order. If the decree says that he gets to keep it, it will be extremely difficult to get any of that money. It may be possible to use the fact that he isn't following the agreement regarding tuition to get him to voluntarily pay you and avoid going back to court. But you're really talking about two separate issues.

He's in contempt of court for not paying the tuition. You can go back, file an Order to Show Cause, and ask the judge to penalize him for not following through. Your divorce decree may allow you to seek attorney's fees from him, because he's making you go back to court by not complying. The judge can order him to pay you interest on any past due amounts. You may also be able to get a judgment that can be used to garnish his wages if he's still working, or to take money out of his bank account.

It's possible that if you tell him you're planning to take him back to court, he may be willing to work with you. If the two of you can agree that he'll give him half his pension, a judge will uphold that.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer