How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118642
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

CPS case I, grandma, grandchild was placed with me by CPS, A

Customer Question

CPS case I, grandma, grandchild was placed with me by CPS, A hearing took place where my son's Cap attorney didn't show and a bad ruling was made. Id like to challenge have a few business days left..How do I appeal that as he was not represented quickly?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO not yet have a a few days left,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: CPS case, Mother completed inpatient drug programe, 6 months, got out, relapsed and my son has a metal illness, yet supported and capable, gave custody to her over night when I have her my granddaughter for almost 2 years and she is moving to Puerto rico in a week...
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you cannot represent your son, since you are not licensed to practice law. You have to get him another attorney who will challenge the case based on the malpractice of his lawyer if you show that his original lawyer did not properly handle the case.
You have to get him a new lawyer in order to pursue an appeal.
In addition to the appeal for your son by an attorney, you can also file for your own petition for custody and you would be required to prove that your son is not mentally competent and the mother is still on drugs and therefore and unfit parent and based on both of them being unfit you need to argue to the court that you should be appointed as guardian to the child, not either of the parents. Again, you need an attorney to pursue it, but if you have evidence of what you state above, you would succeed.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.