How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5170
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandchildren where taken from my daughter and I cant see

Customer Question

my grandchildren where taken from my daughter and I cant see them what rights do i have as a grandmother
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: mass
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: they are in full guardianship with the foster mother
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: alot of this case is crazy
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. One of the things that is very difficult for Grandparent's is that their rights are limited in most situations. Because you weren't the natural or adopted parents then you don't have any automatic rights even if you are related. However, this does not mean that your rights are cut off. If you have reason to believe that you could be a better caretaker of your grandchildren, then you will be able to petition the courts to become a guardian over the grandchildren. Your are local courts should have a packet or forms available to you that would allow you to begin the process of becoming their Guardian. You can petition to either become a temporary guardian or you can try to become their permanent Guardian. Regardless, if you are their Guardian, even if it is for a limited time, then you would still have all the same rights as a natural or adoptive parent would have. Please keep in mind that the courts will be sure to conduct an investigation as they are reluctant to take away the rights of the natural parents. However, if the children need somewhere to stay that is not foster care and that is not a state facility, they're going to place them with the grandparents. My recommendation would be to get started right away.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?