How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] Former spouse is unemployed and supported by

Customer Question

Second opinion] Former spouse is unemployed and supported by her husband (who makes $80K/year). Yet, her child support is set at the absolute minimum ($50/month for each of our 3 children which have been primarily in my custody for years). We are thinking of allowing our oldest child to live with her, but are afraid of the child support obligation we could incur if her husbands wage is not accounted for (I make $100K/year). Could you give us an estimate of what a likely child support obligation we would incur if we allowed our oldest to (15years old) to move in with her?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oh, sorry, thought this was a Washington state (our legal residence) website.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just the original child support obligation, which was set when she was (and continues to be) unemployed and her new husband was only working part time (he now has a steady job at $80/k year).
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, just needs to be a Washington State lawyer, our county is Pierce County
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Sue replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I’d like to review your question and do some research for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.


Expert:  Sue replied 3 months ago.

I am not a Washington State lawyer, but I believe I can help you. Would you like that, or would you like to put your question back out there for a Washington State attorney?


Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Sue, I'd prefer a Washington state lawyer. Thanks though!
Expert:  Sue replied 3 months ago.

Of course. I opted out, so your question went back into the que.

Best wishes,


Expert:  Sue replied 2 months ago.

I hope you found a Washington State lawyer.