Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have filed a contempt on my Wife for not complying with

Customer Question
payments to a car...
I have filed a contempt on my Wife for not complying with payments to a car payment and for non payment for a life insurance that she was to pay out over a year ago. I started Spousal maintenance when my dissolution was finalized june of last year. NOW I HAD A MEDIATION that states that I had to start my Spousal maintenance on January. I did not start my maintenance payments then because my spouse did not disclose that she had life insurance and her attorney and ex had to get information and agree to pay out $2200 with was finally put into the decree in the dissolution of marriage. Since I let my attorney go because I could not no longer afford him. Her attorney states that I should have made those payments and wanted me to do a WASH and tried to make me drop the contempt charge. I need to know what my rights are to this dissolution for my contempt case tomorrow
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Coloradro
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I faithfully made my payments of $200 since the dissolution was finalized
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.. Spouse was to make payments to a car that sill have both our names on it and was not to have problems to my credit. at times she has been 2 or more payments behind.. and she was to payout on her life insurance since july of last year
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/23/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. One thing typically has nothing to do with the other. By that, I mean even though she was in contempt for failing to do what was ordered, it does not mean that you could just stop and/or not make the payments as required. Now, if that is what happened and the money ended up being the same, it could be considered a wash IF both parties proceeded to comply with the court order going forward and everyone was made whole. If that could be done, you could consider it but do not have to because she failed to follow the court order and the Judge could hold her in contempt and take action, outside of just ordering she pay. It appears her attorney is trying to avoid this happening to her, which is why it is being proposed

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer