How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2512
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Speech Language Pathologist with a private practice

Customer Question

I am a Speech Language Pathologist with a private practice in Casper, I no longer have a thriving business due to Medicaid cap changes. I am trying to move out of state for a better job and to be near my family (and his extended family), I have joint legal and physical custody with her staying every other weekend at his house, although I let her stay nights there during the week in good faith when he asks. I don't think it says "mother has primary custodial rights" in the decree, I just used the Wyoming template for a divorce with a minor involved, dumb I now know. We tried doing it amicably but now my ex is balking and I feel he has consulted a lawyer, from what I understand he does not have a case, but I want a lawyer on retainer and ready to go just in case. I pay for all daycare, tuition, insurance, clothes everything; I even pay him $350 a month in child support. I hardly have her at daycare and he would have her there for 9 hrs hours a day. He has an unfinished home but stays with his girlfriend where she does not have her own room.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: in Wyoming
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wyoming
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I contacted a few today but don't expect anyone to answer back until Monday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 months ago.
We don't offer in person services through this site. If you have questions, though, I may be able to answer them.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
With that information and any other you need, does he have a case to keep me from moving?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Or to get custodial rights?
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 months ago.
It is very hard in Wyoming to stop a custodial parent from relocating. There is a strong presumption in favor of allowing the relocation. So absent some compelling circumstances, he could not prevent you from moving. However, a relocation can be a substantial change I circumstances, which would allow him to request a modification. That doesn't mean he'll get the modification, only that the relocation would allow him to ask for it. It would only be granted if it was determined that modification is in the child's best interests.
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 months ago.
Do you have any other questions?