Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My sons father and I were never married. We split a few

Customer Question

My sons father and I were never married. We split a few months ago and I'm not comfortable with other women and their children in and out of my sons life. Do I have any legal rights to choose who is a part of my sons life?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Illinois, and at this time we have nothing set up through court and there is no child support. What I would like is 50/50 between us because his father is should be a big part of his life. I just don't agree with multiple women and their children being pulled in and out of my child's life.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No we have nothing. Just verbal agreements from before he met this girl
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My sons father was abusive to me when he would drink. When he was made to leave the house it involved police but I never pressed charges. We all came to an agreement that as long as he didn't come back to the house and didn't drink around my son that I wouldn't press charges
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Is there any type of court order in place regarding custody or visitation?

.

Is the father on the birth certificate?

.

Does he pay child support?

.

.

thanks