Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

What is Emancipation? The child is 17 years old. This is the

Customer Question

What is Emancipation? The child is 17 years old.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is the State of New Jersey.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No just need information right now.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. the chilkd is an orphan, and is the last year of High School starting in September.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Emancipation is when a minor child has his/her minority status removed so he/she may be allowed to act as an adult. In NJ, the child must be at least 16 to seek emancipation from a court.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Emancipation is a fact sensitive determination by the court. The standard the court applies is "[w]hen a child moves beyond the sphere of influence and responsibility exercised by a parent and obtains an independent status on his or her own, generally he or she will be deemed emancipated." Bishop v. Bishop, 287 N.J. Super. 593, 598 (Ch. Div. 1995).