Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 17 years experience
19958803

I have rented a 300 square foot efficiency attached to my

Customer Question

I have rented a 300 square foot efficiency attached to my home to a 70 year old woman. She is the only one on the lease and has since moved her 3 year old granddaughter into the apartment. There is no bedroom. Just a twin bed and a loveseat. Is she allowed to house a 3 year old in that small of space with no bedroom?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no but I have served her with a non renewal of her month to month lease.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: dont believe so
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

The International building code (BOCA) that most cities follow states that the minimum room size for a sleeping dwelling is 70 sq feet for 2 adults. The Florida Advanced Code Requirements for Residential Construction follows this rule as well with the 70 sq foot minimum. (FBC- Residential R304.2 Other rooms.

.

So yes, legally code would allow her and the child to live there..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much