Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can I be taken to court for paternity testing even if the

letter was sent to an...
Can I be taken to court for paternity testing even if the letter was sent to an address I am not a resident of?
7/21/2017
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

How did you find out about this? Were you served by a process server?

No I was not served, a letter was sent to my uncles house but I never even lived at that address.

If a party believes you are the father, they can go after you and try and determine paternity. This would require that you be served and placed on notice and then would require you submit to a paternity test. I am not sure what the letter was but for a court action, service is normally required. Now, if this letter requires you appear and you fail to do so, a motion to vacate any order which is entered could be made and you could file a motion to quash service of process and argue it was ineffective as a result of being sent to a place where you do not even reside.

The letter Is a motion for me to appear in court for paternity testing, but not to a residence I reside or ever have resided. If I am understanding correctly due to the inaccuracy of address if I don't appear on the said date I can file a motion to terminate the original motion put into place because the letter was not to my address of residence. Or is it that I can put the motion in before the date of appearance?

You can file a motion to quash service, if you were not properly served. It would only delay this and require the other party to properly serve you and/or send you notice, so you could appear. It would not prevent them from obtaining this but just delay it and allow you a chance to contest it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Okay thank you, ***** ***** you by any chance know if it's the court in question directly I'd have to go to in order to quash the motion?

Yes, the motion would need to be filed in the court that is presiding over this and has jurisdiction. If you got notice from the court, it should have the court case number ***** Judge and other related info.

Okay thank you very much for your assistance it is greatly surcharge appreciated?

My pleasure and I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time.

Will do, how do I go about leaving a great feedback?

The site should allow you to type something and that would be GREATLY appreciated. After you rate my help you should be able to leave feedback

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Were you able to rate my help?

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer