Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I need to stop a child support order. My "child" is 25 years

I need to stop a...
I need to stop a child support order. My "child" is 25 years old, special needs, and has been living with me for the past 3 years. My employer says I need to go through the courts because that's how the (voluntary) garnishment was started
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That I just want this stopped. My ex and I have worked things out so he'd send me the money. But it just needs to end because my son lives with me and I take care of him, no need to go through Dad anymore
7/20/2017
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I am here to help you today. I’d like to review your question and do some research for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

Civil # 128705

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

You're employer is correct. You can file a motion in the court where the garnishment order was made, if possible. If not, I can help you in the jurisdiction where you are now.

If you'd care to send me your city and county in Maryland, I can look to see if court motion forms are available on line.

If your child support payments go through the Child Support Enforcement Agency, you'll need to send them a certified copy of the order terminating the garnishment.

I see your answer, so I'll send this off.

Sue

I now live in Dundalk, MD. Baltimore County. Original was done in Gaithersburg, MD in Montgomery County

Thank you. I'll be right back.

Sue

Here is the site to visit to find the Maryland family court form to modify child support. just click on the link to modify child support.

You may wish to call or visit your local family court to ask to register a foreign decree. You can take a certified copy of your garnishment order with a certification of foreign decree cover sheet and copies of both to your local court, so your current county will have jurisdiction.

I'm going back to that site to see if they have the form to register a foreign decree, and i'll be right back.

Sue

The registration of foreign decree form doesn't show up, which is not unusual. Many courts these days have good public self-help assistance, and your court has that here and you can reach them by calling(###) ###-####

The question to ask is whether you need to file a registration of foreign decree when your garnishment child support order was in Gaithersburg, MD in Montgomery County while you are now in Dundalk, MD. Baltimore County.

This will give you jurisdiction to file your child support modification form.

Sue

Did you find those sites helpful?

I'll check back in with you a little later.

If you would like to provide more information, if you have other questions or if I can be of any further assistance, please reply to continue.

I hope I have given you good service today.

Kindly choose a rating when you are ready.

Best wishes,

Sue

Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Sue
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney