Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is palimony recognized in the state of Arizona? If so, what

stipulations must be satisfied for...
Is palimony recognized in the state of Arizona? If so, what stipulations must be satisfied for a claim to be successful?
7/19/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is no Arizona statute that provides for palimony. Judges may uphold any written agreement entered into by the partners prior to their separation. Absent that agreement, I'm afraid palimony is not granted.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

If my ex-husband and I have live together and he has provided for all living expenses, for the past 7 years, he isn't legally responsible to continue supporting me after I move out? Do I have claim to the house without being on the deed? I have provided wifely duties in all areas of this relationship.

Palimony is for unmarried couples. Do you mean that you continued living with your ex husband after getting a divorce?

We are divorced, still live together and he is paying all the bills. I participate with groceries and maintain the house. Plus, other wifely duties.

Then the original divorce decree will control. If the divorce court judge told him to pay you alimony, he's still responsible for doing so.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Thank you very much!

You're welcome!

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer