Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can dcpp tell me that i have to have supervised visitation…

Hi, can dcpp tell...

Hi, can dcpp tell me that i have to have supervised visitation with my teenage daughter whom is currently under my custody?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well the circumstances are my daughter is an out of control teenager who is diagnosed it ODD, and she is promiscuous. she has been in and out of trouble for going on 2 years and I am having her admitted to a therapeutic residential home on tuesday. i asked for nj dopp's help because she was running away and had been found with numerous men each time and initially they told me they couldnt offer me anything different that what i already had in place. the last incident was a week ago where i came home from work and caught her in my bed with a boy. i hit her and had the police place her in an emergency bed at a temporary shelter for a few days. the dcpp worker then decided to tell me 3 days after that i was now under investigation for abuse because he has a bruise underneath her lip. by day 5 my daughter was kicked out of the group home. i asked her dad to pick her up because i was at work and he kept her until today. the dcpp worker called me on friday and said she wanted our visit to be supervised. i told her she wasn't making any sense because my daughter is still in my custody. can she do that without a court order?

7/16/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Question:

the dcpp worker called me on friday and said she wanted our visit to be supervised. i told her she wasn't making any sense because my daughter is still in my custody. can she do that without a court order?

Response: Unfortunately, yes she can. Because you are under investigation, the law allows "DCPP" to step in and take what it deems proper action in the case. DCPP does not need to go to Court first to take this action. If you object to the DCPP's directive, you need to go Court to force your ex to return your daughter to you. The DCPP would be made a party to the case.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for responding but my daughter is currently home with me. I asked him to keep he for 2 days because of my work schedule. She will go back with him tomorrow (monday) and tuesday i will admit her to the residential group home. So where does the "supervised visitation" order come in to play? she was never removed from my custody.

Thank you for the information.

If your daughter is already back in your custody, then the supervised visitation does not make sense. My previous response was based on my understanding that your daughter was still with the father.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started