Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Can my 15 year old son legally refuse to talk to me or see

Customer Question

Can my 15 year old son legally refuse to talk to me or see me when I have visitation rights dictated by the court in Virginia?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: His mother has been prohibiting me from seeing him for years by going to his school and getting him before I arrive
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about that situation. Technically, your son does not have to talk to you at all. The legal obligation rest with the parents to care for the child, but it doesn't really get involved into the relationship of the parent and the child down to that kind of level. However, if the other parent is keeping you from seeing the child, then that is likely going to be a violation of your rights to see the child. You may want to consider filing a contempt motion against the other parent if they are interfering with your right to see the child. Initially, I always recommend working it out informally, but in family law cases that doesn't always work. You may need Court intervention to help you out, but understand that although your son is not legally obligated to talk to you, you still have the right to see the child and be able to do what you can to repair the relationship.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can my son legally refuse to see me?
No. Not legally. If he would like to do something about your situation, he would have to go to court with the other parent to modify custody rights. The court will consider his wishes given his age, but he doesn't have legal authority to refuse to see you. Did you have any other questions? If not will you satisfied with my service today?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you give me instructions on how to file the motion for contempt? What kind of proof do I need?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Basically his mother said in a text that he is a big boy almost 16 and he doesn't have to see me if he doesn't want to. How would the court react to that?

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I thought that I had submitted the post but for whatever reason it seems as if it disappeared. Basically, what you would need to do is just draft of the facts on 28th line pleading paper and submitted to the court. You can ask the court for a ruling to hold the other parent in contempt for not letting the child see you. Now, the court may very likely take the child to pinyin into consideration, but the child themselves does just not have the right to refuse to see a parent. The other parent would have to request for a modification of parenting time for that to be legal.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just checked my credit card and saw a charge there for $42 when at the end of the first $5 request this statement was written and I quote
"Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away"
So why did you charge me an additional $42, what a ripp off!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry if you were confused about how the charging works. One of the first things that you have to understand is that I don't personally charge you. The website charges you $5 to post a question and then charges you additional fee for your interaction with me. I only take a portion of what they charge you in total. Now, follow up questions are free. As you know, you can continue to ask questions in this thread. I find it unfortunate that because you were unhappy or confused about the charges that you gave me a negative rating as a result. I would recommend strongly that you separate the issues with the billing from the issues that you have with my opinions and recommendations. You can always work with customer service about a refund, but I would sincerely ***** ***** you turned around that negative rating back to your original 5-star rating. As a side note, if you come back to the site, and other experts have seen that you have given a negative rating on this basis they are far less likely to answer your question. So, I think it is in both of our best interest if you change the rating regardless of whether you get money back.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Who can I talk to in customer service? I want a live body not a recording
Sure thing. If you call +1-***-***-**** you can find someone live. Otherwise, if you Google just answer customer care, you can also send them an email as well if it is more convenient for you for you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You told me that follow up questions are free so why did I get charged an extra $42???? You wrote again in your last response that follow up questions are free. I'll give you the rating you want when you refund my $42. It was you that told me that follow up questions are free, no one else. I don't find that statement "Follow up questions are free" to be confusing. If you or the website is going to charge me $42 then you should be telling me or anyone else that follow up questions are free because they are not. I got charge $42, that's not free!!!!