How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just had a thought and am trying to find out if it's

Customer Question

I just had a thought and am trying to find out if it's possible. I will keep this short, but ask me anything you need to know. I raised my daughter alone. Her father was in prison from the time she was 2 until she was 28.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I worked hard and struggled. I'm disabled now and am barely getting by. I live alone. My daughter's father learned a trade in prison and has a fairly high paying job. Is it possible for me to get reimbursed, if that's the correct word, by him now?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm in Illinois.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is in Illinois too. There hasn't been anything filled.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 3 months ago.
I am sorry to hear this. That must have been a financial burden. Can you please tell me if paternity was ever established?