Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

Father died without will. Daughter had been taking care of

Customer Question

Father died without will. Daughter had been taking care of father in last days and father expressed wish that daughter be executor of estate after death. Oldest son out of state and out of touch with father disagrees and states his treasons. court sides with brother. out of wedlock brother out of state is ignored in estate because of no legal proof 60 years ago when born. Father and mother of out of wedlocklock child married briefly then devorced. brother says because of stepchild connection, 60 year old has no claim to estate or name of father. will be taking dna sibling test with sister to prove connection of 60 yr. old to family. any other suggestions ? this is happening in wa. state.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Superior court Benton county decided against sisater for executor., so far.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: All I can think of at present. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 months ago.

If the out of wedlock brother proves that he is in fact a sibling of sister and brother executor by DNA testing, then he will probably be given a full share in the father's estate. The fact that father and mother got married and might have acknowledged the paternity during their marriage can be very strong evidence of paternity.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.