Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I am 24 years old and i would like for my step father to

Customer Question

I am 24 years old and i would like for my step father to adopt me how would i go by that
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Radford VA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no not yet i didnt know what all i would have to do my real father has been in and out of jail my whole life and my step father has raised me since i was 7
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think thats it
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 8 days ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hello

Hello and thanks! Just a moment...Remember, if you get an automatic phone call request and you would not like a phone call, you’re welcome to reject the offer.

Unfortunately, adoption is only reserved for those that are under the age of 18. For adults and every state, they can have someone become a guardian over them, but that usually only exists when an individual Is incapacitated in some way. So, a lot of older people will get a guardian over them to help manage their financial affairs and to manage their property on their behalf and also make decisions on their behalf as well concerning their medical care or even there the state if it comes down to it.

In your case, if you are a person that can take care of themselves generally then the law will not allow your stepfather to adopt you at this time.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?