How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30351
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband has filed for a reduction in child support due

Customer Question

My ex-husband has filed for a reduction in child support due to illness and that my child recieves Social Securtiy which will end Oct 27, when she turns 18. However she will be entitled befits at that time as she is 100% disabled, which means child support should contine, right?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Wisconsin, but we were divorced in California, so I have to get a lawyer in Calif.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I have to try to find one on the internet, right?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You can request that child support continue because your child is 100% disabled. The judge will consider the income that the child gets from Social Security, but that doesn't relieve the father of his obligation. The law requires that the parents support their children even when they have income from other sources. Children with disabilities qualify for ongoing support after they turn 18.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have any questions about this?