Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My lawyer correctly told me that IL has a set minimum and

Customer Question
maximum of what I will...
My lawyer correctly told me that IL has a set minimum and maximum of what I will have to pay my soon to be ex from my military pension, but does not know how much that will be. We were married 2003 in Panama. I turned 60 March 2011 and had to retire in Apr. I received my deferred pension in 2015. As soon as we filed taxes Apr 2016 and she realized the amount of pension I just received she demanded half. I gave her a considerable amount, but apparently not enough as she left with our son and filed for divorce in July 2016. I want the divorce to finish 1 way or another soon, because as my lawyer explained to me that since I get a pension and supplement that with sub teaching my income that is public info is alot higher than what she claims she makes in self employment I probably will have to pay her lawyer and the unknown spouse support. How do they determine what I have to pay beyond the child support I've paid since Nov. 2016. My lawyer says we are not any close to closing than a yr ago. She asked me to ask my wife to please settle (I offered $3K finish), but she refuses.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I'm retired.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not now, thanks.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/13/2017
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
The length of marriage, financial status ans needs of the parties, past and expected living expenses, incomes of both sides.It is determined on a case by case basis within the range.
Let me know if that is clear.
There is not a formula to establish at least a maximum or minimum of my military pension she can get? Also, it was obvious shortly after she and our then 16 y/o daughter I adopted from her received their green cards they were in the marriage for financial gain (examples too numerous to mention now). Can this not be an added factor to not reward this kind of deception. The answer was pretty canned/vague or just nobody knows or wants to say. I have no idea. could it be all of my pension? Seems there is no law, just the judgement of 1 judge which I anticipate will not favor me since my perceived income is much more than her "reported" income, and the money I gave her to try to avoiding/delay divorce is just considered "gift". I think she and my son may go to Panama permanently w/o my consent. If that happens do I still have the same financial obligations since COL is much less there and I know that is illegal but I know it happens and not much I can do about it?
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

There is no maximum or minimum amount, but it is usually (not always) somewhere around 50% of the portion earned during the marriage, because most marital property is divided equally between the parties. I'm sorry you got misinformation about their being firm limits. Do you have any other questions?

To determine the amount earned during the marriage, you may need to hire a pension valuation expert.

S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney