Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My daughter in law is bipolar or schizophrenic. She has

Customer Question
My daughter in law is...
My daughter in law is bipolar or schizophrenic. She has planned a trip their 4 children on a 12,000 mile trip. She will seek any medical attention for herself. She has run naked through the house in front of everyone, slept nude with children, bedbugs, her daughter lost some of her hearing because she didn't follow up on ear infection car. The girl had to have surgery on her ear. She was walking and talking to me on the telephone last year and told me she "lost David" her son. She kept walking and talking to me. Didn't bother to stop. She aggravates my son and they fight a lot. I don't believe she is safe to leave with the kids. Any ideas. She really needs medical attention. She has outburst of rage, won't clean the carpets very rarely get vacuumed. Help please
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I am in Texas, she is in Maryland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She threw a chair at her son poolside in front of many people last year. She took David her son to NYC walking at 4:00 a.m. in NYC until he nearly collapsed! He was 9 years old
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/13/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

I am so sorry to hear this. I'm a good person for this question because I represent children, and I hate hearing about children who are in distress. These stories are awful. Do the children's teachers or doctors know about her behavior?

When were these incidents? That is important, because if they weren't recent, child protective services (CPS) may not do anything about it. If there are recent activities of a disturbing nature, then that's another story. Has she told you of anything that's happened recently?

I would still like to help you with your question but it would help me to know if there were any recent issues that CPS should know about. That doesn't mean the other prior issues are unimportant - they're not. It remains to be seen if CPS will do anything about them, though, because they're old, but from what you're telling me, I wouldn't want her taking the kids away! She needs help, indeed.

You can contact CPS but they may be asking for a more recent event. Still, you can contact child protective hotline in MD and see if you can get them to do anything for her children. She is abusive, to say the least, and she's also neglectful in her parenting. That's an understatement!

Does this answer your question or would you like more information?

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Thanks!

FamilyAttorney

Ely, Counselor at Law