How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3915
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question. My husband & I are going through a

Customer Question

I have a question. My husband & I are going through a divorce & he has always carried the insurance on me & the kids. he is going to continue to carry it on the kids but can he on me as well after the divorce? I am in remission from cancer but still on medications, test, scans, Dr. appts etc. He is willing to if he can by law. I do work & offered ins. through my job but it is not as good for coverage if I take it out.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No were trying to do this all online for cost reasons
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No sir that I can think of & thank you
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 11 days ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Unlike other states Texas law does not mandate that your ex husband's employer continue to cover you under the employer provided insurance. Therefore it is not likely that you will continue to be covered by the employer even if it is included in Divorce decree or settlement.

However you would be eligible to be covred on a temporary bass through the federal COBRA Laws. Unfortunately you would have to pay the Cobra premiums, which would be more than your own employer's insurance program.

So unfortunately it is unlikely that your coverage will continue under your ex husband's insurance.

The children will be covered but not you.

HOWEVER the Court can adjust your support payment by imputing an income value for the indsurance. Discuss this with your divorce attorney.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Related Family Law Questions