How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41012
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working through a divorce with my wife for the past 3

Customer Question

I am working through a divorce with my wife for the past 3 years. We finally met her and I with our lawyers. The lawyers parted agreeing we have terms and my lawyer wrote up the property settlement and sent to the other counsel. My wife has 200 hrs of free legal as a school teacher and is / has been dragging me with continuences and delays. I believe even though we are all in agreement following our meeting, my wife will drag her feet more, esp since she already has her piece of the pie and gains nothing out of this agreement. Both lawyers gain as this drags on. What ethically and legally happens here when both laywers agree as we covered everything and her lawyer doesn't reply. We sent them the agreement twice and I believe they never intended to sign/agree and want to drag this out til the cows come home. What can I do as the 3 all benefit and I lose access to the funds promised to me in this agreement?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 days ago.

You r only option here ti sot have your lawyer set it for trial.They were not negotiating in good faith.You take your chances with the judge and division of assets.Setting this may spur them to sign the agreement.Thats really the only way to proceed if they will not sign the agreement as it stands.You always have right to set it for trial to resolve the property and anything else here in PA divorce.The judge deals with it when the parties cannot agree to settle.

Tell your lawyer to seek to set t his for hearing since they will not settle.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Sorry you are dealing with this.I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But we left meeting with both lawyers agreeing we have an agreement and my lawyer to type it up on behalf of both sides. Doesn't this hold any weight in the court (or out) as this seems like an expensive exercise in feudulity and lacking good fatih
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 days ago.

It has to be signed off on for the court to approve it, not final until they agree to do so here. I know it is frustrating for you.You may have to set it for final hearing.

Thanks again and the best here.