Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm wondering if, in the case of divorce or legal separation…

Customer Question
I'm wondering if, in...

I'm wondering if, in the case of divorce or legal separation - at what age does a child have the right to refuse visitation with the parent?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

KY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No Just curious at the moment

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
7/12/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. There is no set age, that a child could simply refuse and if/when this does happen, the Judge always encourages the parent to help facilitate a relationship with the other parent, who the child does not want to see. The parent does have rights to the child and if visitation is ordered and the Judge finds it is in the best interest of the child, it would be ordered. Now, if there is a reason to believe the child may refuse, the parent does need to address this with the Judge at the time, so ALL parties are aware of what is required and what must be done and how this will be handled.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!