Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband recently retired from the police department. We

Customer Question

My husband recently retired from the police department. We are currently going through a separation. We are currently working on a separation agreement. I am looking for ways to protect and preserve my interest in his pension. He will be paying alimony to me fo an undetermined amount of time. At a future date, when we go to finalize the divorce I will have a QDRO approved by the court and filed with the plan. I would no longer be receiving alimony payments once the monthly pension payments kick in.Before finalizing the divorce:1) How can in the interim protect my rights and interests in the pension during the period of separation. (Suggested clauses I might include in the separationSeparation questionOnce a QDRO is in place can a divorce decree order that pension payments (that I am supposed to receive) convert back to alimony payments (on a monthly basis) should anything happen and he no longer continues receiving pension payments on a monthly basis?Please feel free to ask any questions. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Hello, please forgive me, but I'll have to opt out of this question and let another expert help you out:-)