How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband recently retired from the police department. We

Customer Question

My husband recently retired from the police department. We are currently going through a separation. We are currently working on a separation agreement. I am looking for ways to protect and preserve my interest in his pension. He will be paying alimony to me fo an undetermined amount of time. At a future date, when we go to finalize the divorce I will have a QDRO approved by the court and filed with the plan. I would no longer be receiving alimony payments once the monthly pension payments kick in.Before finalizing the divorce:1) How can in the interim protect my rights and interests in the pension during the period of separation. (Suggested clauses I might include in the separationSeparation questionOnce a QDRO is in place can a divorce decree order that pension payments (that I am supposed to receive) convert back to alimony payments (on a monthly basis) should anything happen and he no longer continues receiving pension payments on a monthly basis?Please feel free to ask any questions. Thank you.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello, please forgive me, but I'll have to opt out of this question and let another expert help you out:-)