Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I asked you in past if I could negotiate my rears with ex…

Good Morning, I asked you in...
Good Morning,
I asked you in past if I could negotiate my rears with ex wife and you mentioned it is all up to her and I asked all the details about the legal paperwork that would need to be prepared for the agreement. Could she put a lien on a property that I own with my second ex-wife. Both of our names are ***** ***** title. We did not sell the property because of our children from the second marriage live there. Please advise.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/7/2017
Michael Bradley

Yes you can negotiate your arrears with your ex-wife. It would be up to your ex-wife to decide whether or not she would read to a reduction of the arrears that you owe. She could not put a lien on the property that you co-own with your second ex-wife. She cannot put a lien on it as it is in more than one person's name. It does not matter whether or not it was sold or held onto. The fact that there is more than one person's name on it prohibits her from attaching a lien on it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please do not get offended, my question is address the attorney title law educator and would like to get feed back from him.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Thank you for informing the previous contributor, but next time when you request me make sure you type my name in the question clearly so the other contributors clearly know you are looking for me.
If your home is under joint tenancy title, with you and your second wife, then she could put a lien on the property, but only to the extent of your share of ownership. So they can place a lien, but could not foreclose on it, only when house is sold they could exercise a lien claim against your share of ownership of the proceeds.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.