Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in meridian ms. I had dhs show up at my door last…

I live in meridian ms...
I live in meridian ms. I had dhs show up at my door last Monday . My son was at the neighbors playing. My other neighbor was cutting my grasss. I took 2 of my four kids and ran 2 miles to the dumpster. While we were gone the neighbor cutting my grass said dhs had come by my 8 yr old son had just walked back over to our home when dhs pulls up and starts honking the horn. When my son says I'm somewhere and starts looking for me the dhs worker goes to the rd with her flashers on and calls the law. I came home picked up my son and my children and I ran on to a business 8 miles away to purchase new marressses for my college bound oldest child. My 16 yr old daughter calls me and says she just got home and to get home dhs and the law were at my house and needed me asap. I pulled up to find two sheriffs cars and dhs lady. She proceeded to tell me I left my son at home and the three minor children would be removed. I went to both neighbors and they came to my home and gave statements. Dhs still told me of a hunch of allegations and they weee taking my kids. It's been 11 days and not one word from them. I have an appt in 5 days with an attorney but I want to know now what My rights are and how quickly my kids can come home. These neighbors are 2nd in command in ma air guard and the other a 55 yr old disabled renter of mine and neighbor for 4 yrs.
7/7/2017
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in familylaw. I am here to help you today. I’d like to review your question for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

You are entitled to visitation with your children regularly and right away. You could call DHS to request a visit ASAP. Surely your children are missing you and upset about being removed. A request for visitation is common; DHS should've offered it to you and your children already.

This visit may be supervised, so you want to keep it a happy meeting, which I know will be so hard, but it's important for any supervisor to see you can rise above your own distress to comfort your children, and enjoy the time you have together. Be careful not to "talk stink" about DHS, as that will definitely be reported back to the worker.

If you call and have to leave a message, call back the next day, etc., leaving pleasant messages with your name and phone number clearly stated. If you cannot get through after 3 tries or so, start going up the chain of command to the worker's Supervisor.

In the meantime, would you neighbors write letters? Would the one who was mowing your lawn say s/he was watching your kids while you were out on a brief errand? I know they already gave statements, but letters can be more deliberate and carefully constructed. They should definitely give the information about how long they've known you, how you are generally as a parent, how the kids are (happy, engaged, etc.), especially your neighbor who is in the Air National Guard. Authority listens to authority.

Sue

Ok I'm hiring a lawyer Ms sue I speak to him on Monday. What are my rights? Can I get them back now. I have plenty of money to hire an attorney and fight. The kids are at my mothers and she is a great woman but she's making it miserable to even speak by phone to the two younger kids. I did not leave my son unattended. My husband was killed two yrs ago in a terrible work accident. These babies have all been through enough. Dhs came out because of a domestic disturbance.... really! I have 8 homes and my kids are missing our beach house which is in Alabama. Can I find another adult and request for my kids to be moved there? They cry every day to come home.
my moms not cooperating at all
My email is***@******.*** I put it wrong in my account set up
When can a legal agent call me then

Ms. Billings, I am so sorry I cannot accept your request for a live phone call.

You have rights to see your children, and to talk with them. You have rights to know what charges DHS is lodging against you, and an opportunity to respond. Sadly, you probably cannot get your kids back right now, and not until DHS decides they can come home. But that doesn't mean that won't happen soon.

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. You and the children have been through a terrible time, and it is hard to parent solo.

I'd caution against asking to move the children, as DHS is probably seeing this as it being a good thing they are with your mom, and it would be disruptive to move them. That's typical DHS-think.

Sue

Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started