Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

This is related to child support in Mississippi. I divorced…

This is related to child...
This is related to child support in Mississippi. I divorced a couple of years ago and was ordered to pay child support for my 17 year old son until he was 21 because he was a full time college student. He is now 19 years of age. I get absolutely no input on anything to do with him. He is now 19 and I just found out he has decided to take a semester or 2 off from school. Would this not put an end to the child support since he is not in school and over the age of 18?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/5/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes you will need to file a motion to modify child support.You would seek to terminate it because he is no longer enrolled here in school.The court likely agrees here.This is a change of circumstances that warrants termination of support by the court.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

What if he re-enrolls in school at a later date

Forms see page 14 here and self help.I think you need to file now, he really isn't trying here and judge will see it, you have nothing to loose.

http://probono.olemiss.edu/files/2011/09/CSM-Material-Packet-draft-5.pdf

Thanks again.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer