Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

I am a 42 yr old male looking to have relations with a 16yr

I am a 42 yr old male looking to have sexual relations with a 16yr old girl. Age of consent here in VA is 18, so I know it is illegal here. We are trying to be compliant with the law; so what if we traveled across the border to WV where the age of consent is 16. Would we be breaking any laws?

I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes, you'd be breaking the law. You could be prosecuted Federally under the Mann Act for transporting a minor across state lines for immoral purposes. Not a good idea.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
WV is literally twenty minutes away. What if I met her there?

It's not the distance that matters. It's the fact that the Federal age of consent is 18. So if you're planning on either transporting her or making arrangements to meet her for sex in another state, you're risking a Federal offense.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's what I don't understand. The state of WV age of consent is 16. If we drove separately to WV (I wouldn't be transporting her), and had sexual relations in WV, how would I be breaking the law?

Because you're missing the point that Federal law is different from state. Under her state law, she's not capable of consenting to sex and under Federal law, she is not legally capable of consenting to travel for sex.

You asked whether you'd be breaking any law. The reality is that yes, you would be breaking Federal law if you're caught.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.

You're welcome!