Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 17 years experience
19958803

My ex and I divorced last year and he was ordered to pay an

My ex and I divorced last year and he was ordered to pay an amount in child support. Since then my income has increased 50% temporarily and he has gone to court to get his child support reduced. My question - since my income increase is temporary and sine he does nothing else for our son, should I attempt to fight it, or just let him decrease his payments?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I want ideas before I go to a lawyer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He had been paying child support for two kids, but one just turned 18 and his payment has been reduced so now only one left

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

If your increased income is temporary, then if he has filed a motion to amend his support, then you would want to respond with your proof that the increase is only temporary and if any reduction is awarded, it should only be temporary as well. Once your income returns to normal, you should be able to provide proof of that to your ex and the court and then the normal payments would resume..

.

But this isn't really something you need an attorney to represent you on as you can easily provide paperwork about your income and something from your employer estimating when the increase will subside..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. It sounds straightforward enough. Does the court take other factors into consideration in determining if child support should be changed or not, or is it just about income? For instance we have a visitation schedule that he has never followed, and he does nothing for our children - in fact the last time he saw the child for whom he pays support was March and he does not contact me at all about the kids. Do I bring these issues up or just address the income factor?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello?

You are very welcome.. And yes, it is pretty much just about income and custody.. If you split custody equally, then it is just about income.. or if only one parent has custody..

.

But the fact that he is a lousy father doesn't really come into play in the financial calculations...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

.

Have a great afternoon!