Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Interested in step-parent rights. Divorced couple have two

young sons ( 9 &...
Interested in step-parent rights. Divorced couple have two young sons ( 9 & 11); never sought a legal custody agreement or legal child support arrangements. Physical custody has been with the mother. The father however has provided to some degree for the boys as to his understanding of the need. Until recently, the father has lived a considerable distance (Ohio - Florida) from the children. During that time, visitation / parenting was over summer or holidays. Now, residence is closer, (Ohio - Michigan) and agreement was every other weekend during school & some weeks during summer.
Ex husband and wife have now re-marrid within the last 6 months.
During a recent exchange, the mother re-niged and would not allow the boys to leave with their father. One boy was in the car, the other was not.
As the mother and father argued, the step-father interceded, put the one boy in his truck, and drove away.
Does a step-parent have the right to get involved in that manner?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2017
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

No, a step parent is not entitled, as a general rule, to interfere in the visitation or custody order entered by the court.

Nor does a stepparent have any inherent rights in the parenting of a stepchild.

Currently, there is no court ordered custody. The mother has however always had physical custody. Does that change your response?

No, a stepparent still has no inherent rights in parenting.

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer