Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question concerning communal property in the

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question concerning communal property in the Dominican Republic. In 2013 I paid for a house and gave my girlfriend 40% ownership. All bills for improvements and monthly upkeep have been paid by sending money every mont. I generally visit every four months staying at a hotel and also spending time in the house. In the event that at some future point I wish to sell the house, can I do so if she is opposed to that, even though I have a majority holding as per the titula (title).

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. But I did hire a dominican lawyer to obtain the title of the house

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has two children, not mine ( that were there before my arrival).

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
6/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Once you have given her ownership in title, unfortunately you cannot sell without her consent. If she does not agree to the sale, you would be forced to file suit in court to order a forced sale or force her to buy out your 60% share of the home. If she cannot buy you out, the court can order a sale and force the sale.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.