How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117365
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in TX and my daughter and her mother are in GA. She

This answer was rated:

I live in TX and my daughter and her mother are in GA. She filed for child support in April 2016. The letter went to a relative's house. Upon being notified I came up to GA and went to child support office told them I lived in TX filled out all the necessary paperwork and they told me the case would be transferred to TX. However I finally got a court date and went to court here in TX on June 2nd. I have a continuance until July 31st. The same day I got the letter for my child support court date I received a letter from GA saying child abandonment had been filed. I was unable to travel to GA for the court date now I have a felony warrant issues for my arrest. I have no idea what my next step should be.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she filed false charges against you, but there is a warrant out, you are going to need to appear in GA with an attorney now to get the warrant vacated. Before you surrender, you need to engage a lawyer in GA and they will arrange for you to surrender to the court and get the warrant vacated without you having to spend a lot of time being process through jail.
Once you succeed in defeating the abandonment case, then you can sue the mother and GA Child Support Enforcement for malicious prosecution for getting the warrant for abandonment when you had a court date in Texas.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There was no child support order in place when she filed the abandonment petiton. I was previously giving her $300 month or every chance I could. I was out of work for 3 months due to a car accident. (which I explained to her) it got to a point where I chose to not communicate w/her in Feb until the child support case was resolved b/c she was so unreasonable. So do I need to get a criminal attorney?
thank you for your reply.
Since there was no support order and you responded to the support case and have a court date set and had at least made some intermittent payments, it is not abandonment. You would need to get a criminal attorney in GA to help get that warrant cleared
Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions