How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step daughter has always gone by my last name. Her

Customer Question

My step daughter has always gone by my last name. Her biological father signed away his rights many years ago. She is 15 and wants her name to be " Baker" instead of the name on her birth certificate which is "Hunt".
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. Several years ago we had intentions for me to adopt her but time got away from us and now we hope that we can just change her name.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

It is possible to do a name change outside an adoption. Assuming her mother's last name is ***** ***** as yours, that would help your case.

The petition must be filed by the mother. The father doesn't have to be notified if he has terminated his parental rights. There will be a hearing, where your stepdaughter will tell the judge that she agrees to the name change. Since everyone is in agreement about the change, the procedure should be fairly straightforward.

Here are the forms and instructions:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any questions about this?