How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30384
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband at the time of him leaving the state we lived in

Customer Question

My husband at the time of him leaving the state we lived in was to pay child support and i think he paid 2 payments. I had 1 son and was pregnant with another son. What the problem is this was in 1969 and ar the time i did not know where he went and his family would not tell me.He went to Florida and then u could not get support from him there. Before our divorce was final he married the lady he ran off with. I know that he is in Indiana. So what could i do or am i just out of luck.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes this was in Indiana.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No for years i did not know where he was and i raised the boys all by myself with help of family. I ran into him at a family reunion
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well my son wanted him in his life and so i took him in and i had him a month and kicked his sorry ass out. This is a very mixed up deal and now i need help. My youngest son lives with me and i can barely make it.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Indiana will only enforce child support orders for ten years after the child turns 18. However, the statute of limitations is tolled when a person lives out of state. If he's been in Florida from 1969 to 2017, you could still go back to court and file for contempt. It's possible that you could convert the old child support order to a judgement because he's been living out of state, and then try to collect that judgement.

Retirement funds cannot be taken to pay a debt, so it may be more difficult to collect if he is no longer working. You could take any assets he has in the state of Indiana. It may help to talk to a local attorney to see if someone can help you.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any questions about this?